I’m not a huge fan of topical preaching; I prefer biblical exposition. But one of the best topical preachers of the twentieth century was the late W. Herschel Ford, whose series of “Simple Sermon” books are classics. He sometimes had intriguing titles to his messages. One of my favorites is entitled, “If I Were Satan.” It’s included in his volume, “Simple Sermons for Saints and Sinners,” published in 1954. Here is Ford’s Outline.
If I Were Satan
Text: 1 Peter 5:8
Introduction: If I were Satan and wanted to prevent the salvation of people, what would I do?
1. If I Were Satan I Would Deceive People As To Myself
2. If I Were Satan I Would Make Sin Attractive
3. If I Were Satan I Would Hinder God’s Word
4. If I Were Satan I Would Try to Destroy the Power of the Churches
5. If I Were Satan I Would Make Church Members Stumble
6. If I Were Satan I Would Try to Give the World Another Gospel
7. If I Were Satan I Would Get People to Give Excuses.
Conclusion: The old message of Jesus and His love is the message the world needs. Do not let Satan deceive you any longer!