If you’re like me, you’re feeling a lot of stress, frustration, and disappointment over America’s rampageous politics. Here’s what I’ve told myself today:
1. Violence is evil, hurtful, and damaging to its own cause. I abhor it.
2. I shouldn’t watch too much TV news right now or pay much attention to social media reports, because what is being reported doesn’t totally reflect what really happened. Everything is interpreted for us through the lens of a biased media. I have people on the ground who tell a somewhat different story about the capitol riot—not to justify anyone or any group. But there’s no end to bad actors and there’s enough blame to go around in all directions.
3. For now, I’m not going to believe a single politician. Nor most media outlets. Nor Big Tech. Especially not Big Tech. As cynical as I am about secularism, even I am surprised at the openness & speed with which Big Tech is eradicating conservative voices in our society. Media platforms are exploiting the Capitol incident as an excuse to silence literally millions of voices. Their monopoly gives them a virtual chokehold on freedom of speech.This is very wrong. It should frighten us all.
I’m not an advocate of a political point of view. My concern is for the Gospel message and for a biblical worldview. If Big Tech has the power to suppress political viewpoints, how soon will it begin suppressing spiritual truth? Despots of all ages have tried to silence the Gospel. How many times in history have Bibles been banned and burned? This isn’t new, but our technology has increased the stakes.
But the Word of God cannot be chained. When the apostle Paul was thrown into prison & condemned to death for his faith, he took courage in knowing the Gospel could not be suppressed. The Bible is better, truer, louder, and far more enduring than any of the cultural despots who want to silence it. After they are dead and gone, the Bible will endure.
There are millions of ways to communicate. If we lose one, we’ll use another. Speaking up is the best way to answer those wanting you to stand down and shut up. As best I can, I intend to preach truth to culture, as I’m sure you do, too. This is no time to be browbeaten. We have the only message in this world that can heal our broken culture—the message of the cross of Christ. It’s hard to suppress buoyant people, especially when they have a Book that cannot be chained. Let’s preach the Word, in season and out of season!
4. I’m going to place my full confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ, who has missed nothing that’s happened. And, praise the Lord—all of this is moving us closer to His return. He rules over the affairs of nations and kingdoms. He is in ultimate control. World chaos may continue until Armageddon, but it will not continue forever. We have a New Heaven and a New Earth coming.
5. Nothing that has happened can or will justify the atheistic, Marxist, ungodly agenda that is overtaking much of our politics. I must continue undauntedly to speak truth to culture.
6. For now, my mind is best focused on biblical meditation and on the great hymns of the faith and the praise songs that bring balance to my heart. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand, but neither am I going to bury it in the news. If I’m going to fixate on something, it will be the truth of my gracious Lord. When I feel overwhelmed, I’m going to remember Psalm 61:2: “From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that his higher than I.”