Here’s an outline for today’s sermon at TDF. In Revelation 21 and 22, the Apostle John tells us, giving us a guided tour of the New Heavens, the New Earth, and the city of New Jerusalem. I think of Revelation 21 and 22 as a travel brochure.
Introduction: Overview of Eternity (Revelation 21:1-8): New Heavens, a New Earth, a New City, a New Order.
- The New Jerusalem: From a Distance (Revelation 21:9-11): John sees this Diamond-City Descending to the Earth
- The New Jerusalem: Up Close (Revelation 21:12-14): The city comes closer as it descends, and John is able to make out its features, especially its walls and gates.
- The New Jerusalem: Its Size (Revelation 21:15-17): It’s about 1400 hundred miles in all directions. There’s never been a city that large, about the size of eastern half of the United States.
- The New Jerusalem: Its Building Materials (Revelation 21:18-21): Lots of crystal, diamond, glass, and pearl.
- The New Jerusalem: Its Interior (Revelation 21:22-23): Now John is actually inside the city, and he describes what’s there and what’s not there.
- The New Jerusalem: Its Commerce (Revelation 21:24-27: The New Earth is going to be a productive world; and the New Jerusalem is going to be a financial and commercial capital.
- The New Jerusalem: Its City Center (Revelation 22:1-2): At the center of this city will be a vast square, the eternal abiding place of the throne of God. Surrounding this square will be great crowds of worshippers, human and angelic, coming and going, and this will provide the heartbeat and the pulse of the universe. From this square will flow the great Crystal River, alongside the great central street of gold, which will be the main boulevard that runs through the city. And alongside the river and the street will be Tree of Life Park.
- The New Jerusalem: Its Inhabitants (Revelation 22:3-5): Who will be included in the population and what we’ll be doing forever.
Conclusion: He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
PS – For my entire sermon from Revelation 21-22, click here.