Here are my TOP FIVE passages in the Bible on getting older. If you’re a pastor, they would make a great five-Sunday series (and if you throw in Ecclesiastes 12, it’d be a cool half-dozen sermons).
- Deuteronomy 33:25: As your days, so shall your strength be.
- Isaiah 46:4: Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
- Psalm 71:17: Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, Your might to all who are to come.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16: Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
- Psalm 92:12-15: The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in Him”
This coming Sunday, I’m planning to preach from that last passage (“The Older We Get…”) at The Donelson Fellowship. When I came to TDF I was 28. Now I’m 15 months from being 60. I can’t recall where the years went; but I’m taking the Biblical approach to aging and staying positive. Hope you can join us at 8:45 or 10:15 for a study of Psalm 92.